Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Ending Animal Testing

There is always differing levels of commitment to a cause.  I call myself a 'Cheatin' vegan because I know many more vegans on a much stricter level of commitment than I am.  My general philosophy is, though, that I'm always working towards being a better vegan.  Not supporting companies that themselves support non-vegan practices (such as vivisection, or animal testing) is just one more step at becoming a better vegan.

Education is the key to many successful things in life.  PETA does a fantastic job of educating the world on some atrocious things that happen in our world, like vivisection.  Below is the link to an article they posted about Lipton, a major tea company, and their end to animal testing.  I never would have thought that tea would be non-vegan, but I'm glad that PETA does their research and has ended this horrible practice!

Victory! Lipton Ends Cruel Animal Tests: "We are thrilled to announce that after more than 40,000 supporters of PETA and its affiliates around the world sent e-mails urging Unilever to stop…"

Tonight, my vegan knowledge grew even more!  I went to a presentation performed by two of my fellow board members for the Vegans and Vegetarians of Alberta at the library downtown.  As always, my two colleagues were a wealth of information, and I think the presentation helped convince interested parties in the ease of transitioning to a cruelty-free lifestyle.

As part of my vow to become a better vegan, I'll share with you the information I learned tonight over the next month, or probably even longer.  For now, while on the topic of vivisection, I thought I would share a link to another group that is doing what it can to stop animal testing in medicine.  They are called the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine and you can find out more about them here!

No comments:

Post a Comment